Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:08:00 -1000
From:      ken@hi.net
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   sms email alerts for freshports

Freshports is a great tool that dvl created.  I was able to get a quick
notification via email of this last mysql security issue.  I was very
surprised that a security-notification never got sent out, and happy that
dvl's tool was there.   As soon as the port got updated, I was also
happily sent another email and promptly updated that port.

That got me thinking along another line.  Wouldn't it be great if that
same email (but shortened) was sent as a text message to my cell
phone?

I asked dvl about it, and this was his response:

" ... essentially a new piece of code is needed which will take a list of
ports and commit messages and trim them down to something useful. I
suggest you advocate your suggestion in -chat and see how many
people bite."

Anyone think this would be useful?

Essentially, I was thinking that an email alert via sms aka text
messenging (http://www.vtext.com for an idea) might be useful for the
administrator on the road.

Thanks!

ken