Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:53:36 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Carlos A. Ugarte" <cau@lectura.CS.Arizona.EDU>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), mobile@FreeBSD.org

Subject: Re: APM and Compaq Contura 400CX
Bcc: nate

Carlos A. Ugarte writes:

> I'm also having the same problem, with a Compaq Contura Aero.
> The symptom is that by suspending the machine (either by
> pushing the button or running apm -z) the machine would suspend,
> but it would also panic (I'd see ddb right before the screen
> would shut off).  The faults were not always the same, but a few
> times trace showed that apm_suspend and apm_processevent kept
> calling each other resulting in a stack overflow.

Right, it's because the Compaq wants to do a 'standby' instead of a
supsend for some reason...???

> It turns out that PAO has a solution for this using the
> APM_NOSUSPEND_IMMEDIATE option.

It turns out that PAO has a hack for this, instead of a solution.  A
hack is better than nothing, but a solution is better than both.  I'd
like to see someone implement a solution to the problem rather than
adding 'yet another' option for laptops.  There are already too many
options to keep track of, so we need to find solutions so that FreeBSD
works 'out of the box' well on all laptops, and solutions to one laptop
don't negatively affect another laptop.

> By the way, I had first tried out PAO; I thought it was
> required to get pccards to work.  The pccard stuff did not work
> for me, though apm was fine eventually (2.2.2-REL w/ the latest
> PAO patches; couldn't get the PAO boot floppy to work either...).  I
> recently learned that PAO might not be necessary from one of Nate's
> messages on the mailing list, so I gave it a go and now both
> pccard and apm work with the base system (plus the one patch above).

Great, glad to hear it.

> Is there some advantage (laptop wise) that warrants
> upgrading to 2.2.5-RELEASE?

No, but 2.2.5-STABLE contains alot of new fixes for suspend/resume.
Suspend/resume works much better now, although there are still a couple
of minor (known) bugs in the support which I'm working on.

Nate