Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:51:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Michael Johnson <vwbug@apomorph.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Who Need A Bios?

I was looking for any information about IDE to SCSI emulation using
FreeBSD (which seems to be non-existent--let me know if I'm wrong) and I
noticed several postings to this list talking about BIOS problems causing
and IDE drive to be identified incorrectly.

If I am not mistake, FreeBSD (and other UNIX flavors) does not give a crap
about what your BIOS says about your hard disk.  I have an old Gateway
486/33 with a BIOS that doesn't recognize any hard disks over 524MB (or
somewhere there abouts).  I have FreeBSD up and running on it with a 3.2GB
drive.  I have told the BIOS that is a 162MB drive, but FreeBSD recogizes
my drive as full 3.2GB and everything works like a champ.

Any questions, comments, additions, or complaints?  Please respond
directly to my email address as well as the list as I am not a subscriber
to this list....

					--Michael Johnson