Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:17:57 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        tcobb@staff.circle.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM?

> There have been a few threads about a FreeBSD PAM implementation off and
> on over the past 6 months.  My understand was that someone had done an
> initial hack of it.  Who?  Where?  Does it work? :)

I ported the Linux-PAM kit a while back, and tracked it for a few
months.  I cooled off on PAM while watching the significant problems
that the PAM people faced trying to get things like pppd to fit into
the framework.

I'd hesitate to recommend PAM as a generalised solution to the
authentication issue, but if you are happy with a subset solution,
re-porting it is basically a matter of rewriting their Makefiles (which
are hopelessly Linux-centric).

I may have a copy of my old work around here (but I have lost a lot of
stuff recently), or you may be able to find it from someone else that
downloaded it while it was generally available.  You would face some
work updating to current versions.