Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:24:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        murcielako@yahoo.com (=?iso-8859-1?q?Jorge=20Mario=20G.?=)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passing disk geometry parameters to the kernel at boot time

> Hi
>
> I'm having problems with FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE getting
> the proper disk geometry.
> When I was installing I passed the correct info and
> installed, but once I rebooted the info is wiped off
> and again it has the wrong geometry what makes my
> system very "crashy"

Time for you to do some searching.    This has been covered in
detail several times in the last 3 or 4 months.   Someone write
a very helpful description of disk geometry and posted it about
a month ago.  If you can find that, it might help you
understand.

But, basically, most of the time, the numbers you see are "virtual"
and you don't want to change what the system thinks even if it
isn't consistent from one utility to the next and the utilities such
as fdisk make little remarks in their output.   You should be
going by sector _count_ from the beginning of the disk and ignoring
cyl/head/sector values except in some very special situations.

This is true when you slice and parititon and then especially
when you boot.

////jerry