Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:37:40 -0500
From:      Chuck Youse <cyouse@cybersites.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS and file locking

I work at a company that is currently using Linux, with some recent patches, to
access IRIX filesystems over NFS.  They utilize NFS locking (rpc.lockd/etc)
fairly heavily.  [I didn't say the design was great ;)]

I'd like to move toward using FreeBSD instead of Linux, but unfortunately NFS
locking is not supported.  I did some digging around and noticed that Terry
Lambert had created some patches (against the 2.x trees) to support locking,
but that we still lack an implementation of rpc.lockd to complete the project.
I also noticed some comments elsewhere to the effect that it's nearly
impossible to implement NFS locking within the current kernels properly.

What's the status of this stuff?  To my knowledge, Terry's patches were never
accepted into the tree -- why was that?  What ever happened to the rpc.lockd
project?

--
Chuck Youse
Director of Systems