Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:37:40 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 23:35:01 +0100, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > What RAID level are you using?  There are significant differences (on the
> > smart array controller at least) between the block read and write results.
> > With the SCSI->IDE controller, oddly, the write results are faster than the
> > read results.
>
> RAID5. I don't have a lot of experience with RAID, so I don't know if the
> number of disks have an influence on the result (12 80GB IDE disks in the
> SCSI/IDE array, 8 72GB disks in the Compaq array).

That explains why the block read performance is faster than the write
performance on the Smart Array controller.  With RAID-5, you have to do
parity calculation on writes, so they'll be somewhat slower, more so if the
board doesn't have a hardware parity engine.

That doesn't explain why writes are faster than reads on the other array.

> > What does dmesg say about the card?  From looking at the driver, it looks
> > like the "max outstanding commands" value that is printed out on boot will
> > tell us how many outstanding transactions the card claims to support.
>
> Ok:
>
> ciss1: <Compaq Smart Array 5300> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
> 0xf7e00000-0xf7efffff,0x
> f7fc0000-0xf7ffffff irq 3 at device 4.0 on pci7
> ciss1: using 256 of 1024 available commands
> ciss1:   1 logical drive configured
> ciss1:   firmware 1.76
> ciss1:   2 SCSI channels
> ciss1:   signature 'CISS'
> ciss1:   valence 1
> ciss1:   supported I/O methods 0xe<simple,performant,MEMQ>
> ciss1:   active I/O method 0x3<simple>
> ciss1:   4G page base 0x00000000
> ciss1:   interrupt coalesce delay 1000us
> ciss1:   interrupt coalesce count 0
> ciss1:   max outstanding commands 1024
> ciss1:   bus types 0x2<ultra3>
> ciss1:   server name ''
> ciss1:   heartbeat 0x20000022
> ciss1: 1 logical drive
> ciss1: logical drive 0: RAID 5, 416768MB online

Okay, it looks like you should be able to send at least 256 simultaneous
commands.  What does dmesg say about da1 (which I assume is the smart array
device)?  (might be faster to just send the full dmesg output)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org