Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:40:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      dlr <dlr@asylum.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcpwrapper logs

> > 	I just read both the syslogd(8), syslog(5) manpages but which
> > catergory in /etc/syslog.conf does tcpd fall under?
>
> %man tpcd
>
> //...
> LOGGING
>        Connections  that  are  monitored  by  tcpd  are  reported
>        through  the  syslog(3)  facility.  Each record contains a
>        time stamp, the client host  name  and  the  name  of  the
>        requested  service.   The  information  can  be  useful to
>        detect unwanted activities, especially when logfile infor-
>        mation from several hosts is merged.
>
>        In  order  to  find out where your logs are going, examine
>        the syslog configuration file, usually /etc/syslog.conf.
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> //....
>
> %man syslog.conf
>
> read again
>
> %view syslog.conf
>
> read a little more and then it should be clear

here is the line i put in /etc/syslog.conf to make it work:

local0.*                         /var/log/tcpd.log

restart syslog (kill -HUP syslog pid)
touch /var/log/tcpd.log

Make certain you have tcpd compiled such that it will log to local0 or
whatever. Look in the Makefile...it is fairly self explanatory.

Make certain that you have tabs instead of spaces in syslog.conf.

cheers,

dave