Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:29:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kip Macy <kmacy@netapp.com>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@cytherea.weblab.nsu.ru>
Cc:        thttpd@acme.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: THTTPD web server: problems with KQUEUE on FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE

> I still wonder, whether this problem occurs because of how thttpd does
> things, or how FreeBSD implements kqueue stuff, however, I am not sure

I take it you don't have any logs for 4.4?

> And one more question: out of kqread()/poll()/select() methods, which one
> is more likely to perform better, both under normal server access, and

Under normal load it doesn't matter. Under heavy load there can be no
comparison.
see:
http://www.kegel.com/dkftpbench/Poller_bench.html

This excerpt is the FreeBSD relevant portion:

With 1 active socket amongst 100, 1000, or 10000 total sockets,
waitAndDispatchEvents takes the following amount of wall-clock time, in
microseconds (lower is faster):

On a single processor 600Mhz Pentium-III with 512MB of memory, running FreeBSD
4.x-STABLE (results contributed by Jonathan Lemon):

     pipes    100    1000    10000   30000
    select     54       -        -       -
      poll     50     552    11559   35178
    kqueue      8       8        8       8

(Note: Jonathan also varied the number of active pipes, and found that kqueue's
time scaled linearly with that number, whereas poll's time scaled linearly with
number of total pipes.)