Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:33:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum question, bugs...

On Monday, 14 June 1999 at 21:17:07 -0400, Brian J. McGovern wrote:
> Ok. I'm feeling a bit stupid now, but I think I found some vinum bugs
> that are helping. I'm working with 3.2 for reference.
>
> I have two large (18GB) SCSI disks on seperate controllers, so I figured
> I'd try mirroring ~8GB with Vinum for our CVS repository. I thought that
> this way, if I lost either disk, I'd still have a copy of the truely
> critical stuff online.
>
> I've read the vinum docs online, as well as in the 3rd edition of the Complete
> FreeBSD. Heck, I even went to Greg's talk at Usenix. I think I'm just
> losing my mind.
>
> What I'm trying to do is use the following configuration file:
>
> drive d1 device /dev/da0s1e
> drive d2 device /dev/da1s1f

You should be using compatibility slices here (/dev/da0e and
/dev/da1f).

> volume cvs
>   plex org concat
>     sd length 8192m drive d1
>   plex org concat
>     sd length 8192m drive d2
>
> Now, I'm baffled right at the first line. The various documentation I've read
> seems to interchange the term "partition" and "slice" pretty freely.

Shouldn't do.  There's a basic problem that Microsoft and UNIX use the
word 'partition' differently, so the Microsoft partition table defines
slices.

> Therefore, I'm a little confused as to whether I can use a Unix
> parition

Yes, you can and should use a UNIX partition.

> (part of the disk label)

But a UNIX partition is not part of the disk label.  I'm not sure what
you're trying to say here.

> as in my sample above, or whether I need a seperate slice (partition
> in DOS parlance) to use vinum.

No.

> When I run the commands from hand, it seems to give me an error on
> the first try (incorrect partition type), but goes through without
> error the second and subsequent times (I expect a bug here).

I suspect incorrect reporting.  Probably you missed (in vinum(8)):

     drive name option

           Define a drive.  The option must be:

           device devicename   Specify the device on which the drive resides.
                               devicename must be the name of a disk compati-
                               bility partition, for example /dev/da1e or
                               /dev/wd3h, and it should be of type vinum. Do
                               not use the c partition, which is reserved for
                               the complete disk, and should be of type
                               unused. It is currently possible to create
                               drives on other disk devices, for example
                               /dev/da0s1 or /dev/da0s1e, but it will not be
                               possible to start these drives after a reboot.

> In any event, the documentation I read show it using devices like
> /dev/da3h, which should be a parition (disklabel) for a dedicated
> disk...

It's a partition (not a disk label).  I'm not sure what you mean by
'dedicated disk' either.

> Once I've done these two steps, I do an "ld" in vimum, and it shows
> the disks as being "down", and 0 of 0MB.

Let's see the output if it still happens after you've changed to the
compatibility partition.  You almost certainly got (possibly
incomprehensible) error messages if the drives are down.  Try 'ld -V'.

> Even if I run through the entire config, which it accepts, it still
> shows the drives initially in their down state.

Strange.

> Anyhow, if someone could give me the dinky pointer I need to get started on
> this, I'd greately appreciate it.

Try what I've said, and do a 'create -v', saving the output.  You
could also check the file /var/tmp/vinum_history.

Greg