Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:12:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sbflush() panics, new socket-related DDB commands (was: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/kern uipc_debug.c (fwd))

Dear All,

Of late we've seen an increase in the number of reports of panics in
sbflush().  These occur due to an invariant check when closing sockets, which
in effect confirms that the amount of actual data in a socket buffer matches
the socket buffer's cached length from that data.  Typically, these panics are
a symptom of mbuf chain/mbuf packet queue corruption, and in the past have
been symptomatic primarily of device driver bugs (i.e., the device driver
touches mbuf fields after passing the mbuf into the stack, etc).  However,
debugging these problems is very difficult, as sbflush() is called only when
the socket is closed, and the corruption frequently occurs much earlier.

If you are experiencing these panics, please compile your kernel with "options
SOCKBUF_DEBUG", which adds more frequent invariant checks of socket buffer
consistency.  These checks may have a substantial performance impact, but
unless we can catch the problem(s) closer to when it(they) occur(s), the
chances of tracking the source are low.  We could be looking at one or more
bugs in some combination of the socket, protocol, and network interface code
leading to a recent increase.  Perhaps socket buffer auto-sizing has increased
the chances of it occuring, or perhaps we just have increase parallelism in
test hardware.

I've added some new commands to DDB to make it easier to understand the state
of the system following panic.  While the same information can be extracted
with kgdb, core dumps are not reliably available in all environments, and
certain other information (such as lock information) is most easily obtained
using DDB.  The commands are:

show socket <addr>
show sockbuf <addr>
show protosw <addr>
show domain <addr>

Only the first two of these are likely to be used directly, and they invoke
protosw and domain printing as required.  It would be helpful if people
debugging network panics involving sockets could use the above (and especially
show socket) on socket arguments in stack traces.  For example, in an
sbflush() panic, the first argument to soclose() in the stack trace is the
socket pointer, so is ideal to pass to "show socket" :-).

FYI, in general, the first argument to sofoo() functions is the socket
pointer.  Likewise, the first argument to sbfoo() functions is the socket
buffer pointer.  This is not the case of soo_foo() functions, which take a
file descriptor, or filt_sofoo() functions, which accept a knote.  In general,
if you print the socket contents with "show socket", then it isn't necessary
to print socket buffers separately; "show socket" prints not just the contents
of the socket buffers, but also the pointers to them so that those pointers
can be compared with other arguments in the stack.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge