Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:28:09 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall design [was: Re: Best security topology for FreeBSD]

[ ascii art reordering to cut a few lines of text ]

Internet --- firewall --- internal

                DMZ

Internet --- firewall1 --- DMZ --- firewall2 --- internal

On 2001-11-22 20:55:30, Krzysztof Zaraska wrote:
> Could you please explain why the second design is better? I know it's
> harder to properly construct the correct ruleset for the first topology,
> but what are other problems?

Two levels of firewall; one more barrier for intruders.  If the same
machine is used for the DMZ and internal firewall, and it is
compromised, then both the DMZ and internal networks are wide open.

This however is useless if you use exactly the same hardware/software
both for the `external' and `internal' machines and still have two
separate machines for the two firewalls.  The same exploits/bugs that
will let someone in at the external firewall, will let him break the
internal firewall when the DMZ has been compromised.

But by now we are deep into the paranoia territory :)

-giorgos