Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:18:28 -0700
From:      Peter Fogg <pf20360@email.csun.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Probe unable to locate the CD

Good Morning!

I have a Packard Bell Legend 100CD computer on which I am trying to
install FreeBSD 2.2.5-release. I have created a boot floppy and have
replaced the hard disk, which includes the original Win 95 OS, with a
new 1.275 GB hard disk. The CD drive is a Matsushita-Kotobuke product,
model CR 563-B. The combination sound card, game port, and CD controller
is a Packard Bell product; it has a jumper on it which allows one to set
its address to "22XH" or "24XH". The CD drive has a jumper which allows
one to set it "ID" to 0, 1, 2, or 3, it is set to 0. The ribbon cable
from the card to the CD drive is plugged into the "PAN" connector.

During the probe process a message stating that "matcdc0 not found at
0x300". Yes, the correct CD is in the CD drive during the boot process!

According to the book, The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey, 1997, page
85, section beginning "Kernel doesn't find Matsushita/Panasonic CD-ROM",
sound cards sometimes don't report their address correctly. I have tried
every combination of jumper setting, 22XH and 24XH, and setting the
address from 0x210 to 0x250 ( UserConfig ) to no avail. The referenced
section also suggests setting the address to "-1" to force the probe
process to try many addresses in its search but my version of UserConfig
will not allow a "-1" address.

Help!! How can I help the probe find the CD?

Peter -
peter.fogg@csun.edu