Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:31:49 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        David Ellefsen <titan098@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some Questions

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 08:10:08AM +0000, David Ellefsen wrote:
> To Whom it may concern
>
> I have a few questions concering manly NAMED, SENDMAIL and APACHE.
>
> 1) For NAMED and SENDMAIL - I set my hostname in the rc.conf file and then
> run make-localhost to creat the localhost.rev file.

This sets things up only for localhost.your.domain.  You might need to
create a zone file for your named, to help it in resolving your `real'
host.your.domain -- not just localhost.

Both your problems, with sendmail, and with apache, are caused by your
machine not being able to lookup it's own hostname.

There are various ways to do this, ranging from simple to more difficult
to do.

a) If you're talking about your home machine, you can probably get away
   with an entry in /etc/hosts [the 'difficult' way of doing this,
   would be to install a local (caching) name server].

b) If you're talking about your workstation at work, your company's DNS
   admin should be able to help you set your machine up.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr>
See the headers of this message for my public key fingeprint.