Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:40:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting from non-standard floppy

I needed to cram "a few more bytes" on a floppy.
After doing the fdformat and writing everything, I tried to boot it.
Unfortunately, it fails with "Not ufs".

Looking through the bootstraps, it appears that the new loader is using
the bios to actually read the floppy. As long as I stay on track 0,
everything is fine. However, even after we have loaded "boot2", we still
use the bios's idea of the format rather than the disklabel which has
the actual values. Unfortunately, the fs description extends beyond the
first track.

It's been a long time since I wrote bootstrap loaders. But, as I
recall, the "bios" read the 0th sector (boot1) and jumped to it.
That short piece of code got the disk format from the label and
read in the next piece of the loader. After that, address->c.t.s
was under the software control.

Is there some reason we no longer do this?