Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 22:15:11 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk>
To:        Dale Benzer <ipc1@tribeca.ios.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Dale Benzer wrote:

> I go to the /stand directory and type ./mount_msdos -u dale -g 0 -m 755.
> All this is according to the man page for mount_msdos. But the system
> comes back telling me I need "bdev" and "dir". Help!

You need to tell it which device to mount and where to mount it! Do
something like

mount -t msdos -u dale -g 0 -m 755 /dev/sd0s3 /mnt

(It's better to use mount with the filesystem type as an argument, though
I can't remember why offhand).

> Also, do I always have to type a ./ before a command?

Only if the executable for the command is in the current directory. Unlike
DOS, Unix doesn't look in the current directory for a command unless you
tell it to.

You can add '.' to your path to make it always look in the current
directory. NEVER do this for root's path, though, as this constitutes
a potential security hole, particularly if it's at the start of the path.

Example: you're in the /tmp directory and you do an 'ls' to see what's
in there. Unfortunately some humourous person has put a program in there
called 'ls' that actually deletes all the files on the system. If the
current directory is at the start of the path, this file is the one that
will be executed, not the standard one...

> And finally, what do you recommend for a PATH setting so I don't always
> get "command not found?"

On my system, root has

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

and my normal shell has

/home/james/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin

The /home/james/bin directory is for various odds and ends that I've
written myself or downloaded from various places and find useful, but are
unlikely to be of much interest to other users.

HTH
James

Segmentation fault (core dumped): cannot find file '.signature'