Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:19:27 -0700
From:      "Jin Guojun [DSD]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feedback on Intel server SRMK2

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 19:59:28 -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Jin Guojun [DSD] wrote:
> >
> > > Have not used this. For $300, you can get dual AMD or single P4 M/B + 1 CPU.
> >
> > Right, but I'm needing the whole machine, most specifically the box.  A
> > similar new 1U of decent quality will be about 3x's more cash.
> >
> > > Intel E7500 chipset does not have such bug, but the memory bandwidth (545) is
> > > much less
> > > then the ServerWork chipset (672 MB/s) when compared with same XEON CPU.
> >
> > Cool, it does have a ServerWorks chipset.  I guess that's a good thing.
>
> The chipset (ServerSet III LE) on that board is fine.  I doubt it has the
> 672MB/sec memory bandwidth Jin is referring to, though.  I think he's
> talking about the ServerWorks Grand Champion chipset.

Yes, this is the one SuperMicro P4DL6 uses. Sorry for the slappy note.

> The memory bandwidth on the III LE chipset will be pretty good, though.

This one has about 290 MB/s memory bandwidth. We use this one with
933MHz CPU to capture headers (similar ro tcpdump) at 1.7 Gbit/s
dual direction traffic.

--
/-------------- Jin Guojun ------------ v -- Internet: j_guojun@lbl.gov
---\