Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:08:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Nick Barnes wrote:
> > RFC 952 is in effect until a subsequent standards track RFC is
> > in effect.  Just because Linux allows you to specif host names
> > that break other machines, doesn't mean FreeBSD should.

Spot on.  If this was a valid argument, we would have 'allowed'
underscores all along since our favorite friend M$ has for as long as I
recall.  If vendor foo jumps off a cliff, should we too?

> The relevant standard is STD13 (RFC1034 and RFC1035), which does
> indeed require LDH for hostnames.
<snip>

As I see it there are standards published.  Some vendors choose to ignore
standards making life hard for everyone.  Follow standards.  Believe it or
not, they come to exist for a reason.  OTOH, if you don't like the
standard, work to effect change.  Specifically, change or update the
standard and promote conformance.

-mrh