Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:28:13 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   binary upgrade to 3.1-RELEASE

What would I break if I did a binary upgrade to 3.1-RELEASE on a box
running 2.2.8-RELEASE?  I don't have enough hard drive space to cvsup
and make world, so it's either do a binary upgrade or reinstall
clean (ick).

Now, I know that 3.x+ uses ELF instead of a.out binaries, and if I was
going to upgrade with cvsup I'd need to do a make-aout-to-elf, which
is the reason for my question.

According the RELNOTES.TXT for 3.1-RELEASE, it does seem like a
possibility..

[paste]
In the case of using the binary upgrade option, the system will go
straight to 3.1/ELF but also populate the /<basepath>/lib/aout
directories for backwards compatibility with older binaries.

In either case, going to ELF will mean that you'll have somewhat
smaller binaries and access to a lot more compiler goodies which have
been already been ported to other ELF environments (our older and
somewhat crufty a.out format being largely unsupported by most other
software projects).  Those who wish to retain access to the older
a.out dynamic executables should be sure and install the compat22
distribution.
[end paste]

So.. am I asking for trouble with a binary upgrade?

Thanks,

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| http://www.triax.com/		: