Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:20:20 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Edward Brocklesby <ejb@lythe.org.uk>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rand() is broken

Edward Brocklesby wrote:
> On Sunday 02 February 2003 8:39 pm, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > What I am suggesting is to leave random() as it is and
> > guarantee its behavior won't change and add cryto_random() or
> > whatever, and indicate it *may* change.
>
> Where was it indicated that random() wouldn't change?

Right there in the boot message, and again when you logged in,
where the system indicated to you that it was a BSD system;
the same notification that told you the resolved code is
present in libc, the shared library implementation doesn't
allocate specific chunks of UVM so the libraries can have
their symbols resolved to fixed offsets instead of using PIC,
that libc contains qsort(), etc..

Technically, it should be telling you that the SA_RESTART flag
is present by default on signal handlers, too, so that you can
more easily write a user space threads implementation using
wrapper functions, and save a masking and unmasking system call
for each potentially blocking call, but that's been broken for
a long time, now, because of putative POSIX(SVID) compliance.

-- Terry