Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 06:43:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        greg@uswest.net, ponds!freefall.freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers, ponds!ponds!rivers
Subject:   Re: Another data point in the daily panics...

>  I have a number of News systems running 2.1.5 Release with absolutely no
> problems. These systems range from anywhere between 8 and 20 gig of News spool
> space. They all run INN and CCD. These systems are "rock solid". The difference
> is that the hardware is all custom built based on advice found in these mailing
> lists. If your serious about running a "production" FreeBSD server, don't skimp
> on the hardware. Do some mailing list searches and find out what motherboard,
> controllers, and drives work best for your application. Your hardware is
> probably not what most folks on this list would consider using for a News
> server based on the load the application places on the system.
>

> Greg

  That's really good news to hear.  I knew other people had to using
2.1.5 in this fashion.

  I have a couple of questions for you:

	1) Are any of these 386 boxes?  (I kinda doubt it. - you're
	    point about good hardware is well taken.)

	2) Does INN & CCD hit the file system as hard as a CNEWS expire?
	   (I wouldn't think so with an mmap'd active file.  But then
	    you probably shouldn't mmap the active file because of
	    problems there.)

  Finally, let me just note that my set-up was also "rock-solid" until
 2.1.0... and that, expect when expire runs and the load jumps up;
 the small 386 seems totally adequate as a news feed.  It has one
 outstanding benefit - it's cost :-)

	- Thanks for the information -
	   - Dave R. -