Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 14:15:17 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: New kernel option proposed..

On Mar 8,  9:15, J Wunsch wrote:
} As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
}
} > Stefan Esser would like an option which he can use to conditionalize
} > code to be "conservative" in the case where you're first installing.
}
} Too many people run the GENERIC kernel as their normal one.  I don't
} have an idea which amount of code will be affected, but i'd rather
} vote for a sysctl variable (perhaps defaulting to ``conservative'' in
} the GENERIC kernel, and being turned off in /etc/rc later).

I only want the FAILSAFE define for boot init code.

The usage should be documented, and this is what I
want it for currently:

1) NCR: No **active** synch. transfer negotiation
   for CDROM drives, which currently fails with the
   Chinon 525 and 535.

2) NCR: Have a default of NO tags for disk drives.
   This can be raised in the running system using
   "ncrcontrol".

3) NCR: use a default of 1 for MAX_LUN instead of
   the value of 8 in current kernels.

4) PCI: Possibly use a lower burst length limit.

Documenting these effects of FAILSAVE being defined
is VERY important, or nobody will understand why a
custom kernel fails, when the GENERIC kernel worked.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160