Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2003 21:19:16 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Martinez <rolnif@mac.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speaking of backups...

John Martinez wrote:
> My OS X box has the majority of my important files. I currently backup
> by copying files from the other machines onto OS X and burning a DVD on
> the SuperDrive. I only do this from time to time since DVD-R's are
> still somewhat expensive. I'm contemplating buying SCSI tape drive (DLT
> of some sort on eBay) and attaching it to either the SPARC or FreeBSD
> box. I'd rather do tape backups because I can recycle tapes.
>
> I would like to use Amanda, and I'm sure it would work fine between the
> *BSD, Solaris and Linux machines. How do I address Mac OS X and maybe
> even Windows? I don't think Amanda has an OS X client and much less, I
> don't know how it would handle forked files.

There is currently an Amanda client that works with UFS.  It does
not work with the new HFS, to back up resource forks, etc..

There appears to be an HFS dump/restore that would work with Amanda,
according to the mailing lists where this question should have been
asked instead (8-)).

The main complaint is lack of knowledge of the FS layout, according
to one posting, but IMO, given that the header files for the FS are
distributed as source code, what people are really asking for is for
someone to do the work for them.  8-|.

-- Terry