Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 19:53:23 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        joshualokken@attbi.com, FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printer setup, DeskJet 820Cse

At 2:25 PM -0700 5/13/02, inspector.us@omicnet.com wrote:
>Hello
>
>In reference to a DeskJet 820Cse on FBSD 4.5R:
>
>/etc/printcap is set up for lp.  I used the if-simple script
>from the  handbook.  I have read the chapter on printing (hdbk),
>and the man pages  for lpc, lpr, lptest.
>
>dmesg shows that FreeBSD sees and recognizes lpt0 on ppbus0.
>
>lpc status all tells me printing is enabled, spooling enabled,
>printer idle.
>
>Still, I receive no output from either lptest or sending a text
>file to the spooler.  What am I missing?

In what way are you using lptest?

If    lptest > /dev/lpt0
does not work, then there isn't much reason to believe that
anything else will work.

I do a lot of the work with lpr, lpc & friends on freebsd,
but I do not know much about locally-connected printers.
(all I work with are network-connected printers)