Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 00:50:10 +0100
From:      "BSDman" <usebsd@free.fr>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Matthew Dillon" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Ben Rosengart" <ben@skunk.org>, "Bill Fumerola" <billf@chc-chimes.com>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Speaking of moving files (Re: make world broken building fortunes )

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote
> It would make more sense, considering the way FreeBSD is distributed for
> /usr/local to be a mountpoint than for /usr to be a mountpoint.
>
> /var is traditionally a mountpoint to keep the logs out of harms
> way (and vice versa), but /usr never had that level of justification.

one idea about /usr is to allow the admin to mount it read-only.
I didn't tried it but this would give some level of security against
modifications
of the files there in.

> It is getting even less justifiable as time progress.  The last
> sensible argument we had for it was the "load the filesystem from
> the first 1024 cylinders or bust" problem.

I think the "cylinder" limitation is still of concern. If all OSes come
with large root paritions, installing many of them on the same host would be
a nightmare.

Regards,

mouss

Free your Net with BSD