Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

On 14 Jun 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net> writes:
> > What Dag
> Dag-Erling, if you please.

Ok.

> >          is thinking of, I assume, is the clause in the GPL that states
> > that if a GPL'd component is included (bundled) with another product, the
> > latter product must be GPL'd.  It doesn't work in reverse, and I don't see
> > the situation being the Linux kernel being bundled as part of the XFS
> > package.
>
> No. Read the GPL, and read what RMS writes about it. Plugins and
> loadable modules are derivative work, and must be under GPL.
>
> The specific example RMS used was that of a non-GPL GIMP plugin (which
> he claims violates the GPL, under which GIMP is ditributed). He also
> stated that the reverse (a GPL plugin to a commercial product, e.g.
> Adobe PhotoShop) would violate the GPL.

That's silly.  XFS isn't a derivative work of Linux.  They're two separate
things.  That's like claiming Pepsi is a derivative work of a ceramic cup
that it happens to be in.  The fact that it's in a plugin format is just
glue to hold the two together in a convenient manner -- it could be done
as in userland, as userfs has already proven, but an LKM is far more
efficient.

Regardless what RMS may think, that kind of thing just won't hold up.
RMS is a bit of a twit in many issues.  XFS is demonstrably a separate
discrete product.  just like any other kind of loadable software. Besides,
the only people who could put a case together are the authors, of whom
there is one copyright holder (Linus Torvalds) and I'm sure they could get
a signed agreement stating he would sue them for not GPL'ing it.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet