Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:46:32 +0400 (MSD)
From:      kostik <kostik@org.chem.msu.su>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-STABLE/SMP feels sluggish ...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I have a machine running Dual-PIII 450s that feels dog-slow and I can't
> seem to find anything wrong ...
>
> The machine is reasonably current:
>
> %uname -a
> FreeBSD pgsql.tht.net 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Mon Jun 19
> 23:38:56 EDT 2000     root@pgsql.tht.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/pgsql  i386

looks like you increase your dmesg buffer size or console scroll buffer
size to much. i have dual p100 system and increasing console scroll buffer
makes system _very_ slow on console feedback.
fyi, i have 4.0-release. seems like console driver changed expensively...

> Loadavg is less them 1, but its not unusual to have to wait after hitting
> just the return key for it to come back with something ...

try tweaking buffers size...

> Is this SMP related?  I saw the recent MFC that broke ppls SMP boxes with
> 4.0-STABLE ... something related to this that I should upgrade
> to?  Something I should look at/test to see where the problem might be?

        WBR,                              Konstantin Yu. Pasichnichenko
                                          E-mail : kostik@org.chem.msu.su
                                          FIDO   : 2:5020/118.82@fidonet.org
                                          ICQ#   : 39849876