Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:14:51 -0500
From:      "PSI, Mike Smith" <mlsmith@mitre.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tracking down system freeze

Hi all.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to determine where the
kernel/program is when the system freezes??? Even hardware solutions,
such as the infamous paperclip across two pins will do.

I am trying to track down what appears to be a kernel freeze problem,
but alas, debuggers, et.al. are worthless because they too are frozen.
It appears to be one of those difficult problems where part A is doing
something wrong (which it doesn't mind) but later unrelated part B is
being blasted by it. And of course, while it happens often, it doesn't
happen every time.

But I can't tell where we are when the system freezes. Is there any way
to kick the system in the butt somehow to at least let the debugger do
it's thing?

On the same line, can anyone tell me where I can find out everything a
program does when executed BEFORE the first line of code is reached
(gcc).

not THE Mike Smith