Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:49:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SCSI setup problem

Hello again,

I just installed an Adaptec 2940UW (ultra-wide) SCSI controller into my
system, replacing the existing plain 2940, in order to support a new IBM
4.3 GB ultra-wide SCSI drive.  My system appears to have recognized
everything with no problem (snippet from dmesg below), with the exception
of one line that I'll point out.  However, I am having difficulty
partitioning this new drive.  My setup before installing the ultra-wide
controller and drive was a plain 2940 (narrow) and two narrow SCSI drives
on IDs 0 and 2.  Now I have the 2940UW with the same two narrow drives,
plus the wide drive on ID 4.

Here is the dmseg output:

ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 1 int a irq 11 on pci0:14
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
ahc0:A:0: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
Unexpected busfree.  LASTPHASE == 0xe0
[That's the odd line I was referring to.]
SEQADDR == 0x41
(ahc0:0:0): "QUANTUM LPS540S 5900" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 516MB (1057616 512 byte sectors)
ahc0:A:2: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
(ahc0:2:0): "QUANTUM TRB850S 0403" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd1(ahc0:2:0): Direct-Access 810MB (1660299 512 byte sectors)
(ahc0:4:0): "IBM DCAS-34330W S61A" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd2(ahc0:4:0): Direct-Access 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors)

When using the disk partition editor, I created a single slice using the
"A = Use Entire disk" option.  I then wrote out the changes and got the
message "Wrote FDISK partition information out successfully.".  Next, I
went to the Disk label editor, where I saw sd2 and its 4133 MB of free
space.  I tried creating a single partition within the slice, and also
tried creating two (which was my original goal).  Neither worked; the
partitions got created, but when disklabel tried to create the
filesystems, it got the message:

  Error mounting /dev/sd2s1e on /usr2 : Invalid argument

/usr2 is where I told it to mount the partition.  The same thing happened
when I tried to create 2 separate partitions -- one error message for
each.  I also tried creating 2 slices with the partition editor, and then
creating a single partition on each slice using the disk label editor; got
the same results.

I did *not* use the Adaptec BIOS to format or verify the drive first, but
have been told that it's not necessary to do that, either.  After the
first failure, though, I tried using the scsiformat program to low-level
format the drive.  Didn't help, though.

At this point, I'm at a loss.  I have a 4.3 GB drive that I don't seem to
be able to do anything with except make spin really fast.  Anyone have any
suggestions on how to make this work?  If someone can give me a solution,
I'll have a pizza delivered to your house (assuming you're in the
continental United States). :)

Thanks in advance,
Bryce

*       Bryce Newall       *       Email: data@dreamhaven.org        *
*               WWW: http://home.dreamhaven.org/~data                *
*               "Stop smirking, Number 1."  -- J.L. Picard           *
*          "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop!"  -- EMH Program, ST:FC    *