Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 02:40:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        jinsong chen <jinsong@npc.haplink.co.cn>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lost the password

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, jinsong chen wrote:
>   I am the administrator of our network. Today, I want to disable a count named
> 'test', then, I typed a line of command in root like this:
>               chpass -p abcdefg test
>   I can not login in 'test', but after I logout from root, I can not login in
> root again also, my origin password of root is "HaPlink8a".

You should boo single user, mount -a, vipw and blank the root password.
You should find that the root password has somehow become "test".

I too have seen this problem.  I had passed it off as a fluke of the perl
program we were writing to lock accounts...  I'll have to see what
chpass is doing before I continue to use it.

Anyone else seen this?

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|