Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:35:42 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere jail HEAD with specific revision?

--xXcRtJ92wd3G240i8fw5WEPTrK4AsB2h9

On 03/24/14 11:40, Muhammad Moinur Rahman wrote:
> To be more specific this is how I make a HEAD that matches my Host vers=
ion:
> poudriere jail -c -j 110amd64 -v head@r262857 -a amd64 -m svn
> root@bofh:~ # uname -ar
> FreeBSD bofh.1asiacom.net 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r262857:=
 Thu
> Mar  6 22:59:25 BDT 2014
> bofh@bofh.1asiacom.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SCORPION
>  amd64
>=20

It's also the case that so long as your jail is a) the same major
revision as your host, and b) not newer than your host then you should
be able to compile and use packages without problems.  'host' here means
the machine where you are installing the packages -- if you're just
compiling on the machine then the 'same major version' constraint goes
away as well, so you can compile for any earlier version[*].  Using the
freebsd-update release sets for this is quicker than building a new jail
from SVN, and the packages work just fine on a system installed from svn
sources.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Well, it's known to work for versions from 8.x and up. No idea if
anyone is routinely building 7.x packages using poudriere...