Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 05:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Dave Alderman wrote:

> >         I thought the TX was supposed to be better than the HX chipset.
> > At any rate, is it better to get the new ASUS TX97 motherboards with the
> > TX chipset or the HX?  Also, is the ATX form-factor the way to go or is
> > the standard AT footprint still supported even for future motherboards?
> > I'm thinking about getting another machine but didn't know if I should go
> > the ATX route or not.  Like what are the advantages and disadvantages of
> > ATX?
>
> I believe the TX chipset is faster if you use SDRAM and you do not need
> more than 64 Meg of RAM.  I'm sure someone can point you to some
> benchmark results (hint, hint).  The HX is better for those who need
> more "server"-like features such as  greater than 64 Meg of RAM support
> and multiple processor support.  The HX does not support SDRAM (only EDO
> and FPM).  Note:  The TX does allow you to use more than 64meg but it
> does not cache it - not very useful IMHO.

	Hmmm, what is SDRAM exactly?  Is it just 168 pin dimms?  It's kind
of weird why the motherboards support 256MB of RAM when the chipset will
only cache 64MB.  When it doesn't cache anything above 64MB, is it
supposed to degrade performance a lot even for the first 64MB's?  I wonder
what the cache size limit is with the 430FX.

> For Pentiums, Intel has not provided a single chipset that is clearly
> superior - it really depends on your needs.  The VX chipset I think is
> obsolete unless there are serious cost savings involved.

	I thought the Neptune was the crappy one which got replaced by the
Triton I, then the Triton II is better than the Trion I.  The VX was
more of a slim down version of the II and the TX is just a replacement for
the VX?

> Serious Disclaimer:  I have not tested the TX with FreeBSD (yet). Maybe
> someone else can comment on this?

	Hopefully but I don't think anyone will get a TX board after all
the comments ;-)

> Does anyone know if the VIA Apollo VP2 is any better?   What about the
> new AMD CMD640 chipset (which is based on the VP2 - maybe it IS the
> VP2)?

	It seems the ASUS motherboards are the most recommended for
FreeBSD atleast and it should be the Intel Triton II HX chipset based
boards.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]