Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:37:52 -0500
From:      Jim <kovar@nycap.rr.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        bastill@sa.apana.org.au, "Julien P." <julien.pham@online.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux

I will say only a couple of things about this subject.

I have tried both platforms.  I have tried several flavours of Linux as well as
FreeBSD.  What I have found is simply this...

FreeBSD is far more robust.  Pound for pound, the only thing that comes close
to getting as much as t=FreeBSD out of my hardware is QNX.  However, I have
spent weeks of reading online documentation as well as "The Complete FreeBSD"
as well as this mailing List and after two weeks of trying different things, I
still can't get it working right.

Linux, by comparason, is slow as frozen molases.  But, I have found that it is
far easier to install and run.  What I have spent 2 weeks of work trying to do
I just did in 30 minutes with Red Hat, 25 minutes of which was a
reformat/reinstall.

Will I go back to FreeBSD?  Absolutely.  I think that the performance
improvements are reason enough to spend more weeks learning it all.  But, to be
fair, for people just starting to abandon Microsoft who need something that is
quick to learn and simple to set up, Linux is the clear choice.

Now that I have installed Red Hat 7 so that I can check my mail, it's time to
that working.  Who knows... for me maybe 29 is the lucky number.