Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:38:43 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Joachim.Jaeckel@d.kamp.net
Cc:        "'freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is there something like video4freebsd?

Jaeckel,

> I'm currently trying to code a device-driver for a video-grabber card
> (Miro DC10+) and for that I'd like to know if there is someone working
> on something simmiliar to the video4linux /dev/video pseudo-device or
> even a device-driver for the DC10+.

I'm not aware of any BSD driver projects for the Miro hardware, although
there is a linux project for it, and the DC30.

Currently, there is no video4linux code in FreeBSD.
I've half re-written the Bt848/bt878 bktr driver to use the V4L
API, but never finished the job.

However, I would recomend you use either V4L (by Alan Cox)
or V4L2, the newer video API from Bill Dirks.

This is where all the development and leading edge stuff is with
new video capture applications.

> If that'll be the case, I try to create the video pseudo-device in the same
> way how linux does, to be as much compatible as possible.

Good idea.

And Good Luck.

Roger
--