Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      thomas@hentschel.net
To:        steve@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Zope port revamp [was ports/18444: zope port outdated]

	Just talking to several Zope/FreeBSD users on IRC, and we
	thought a bit of a revamp for this port is in order. Some
	background:

	Zope is a extensible application server created by Digital
	Creations. As this, it heavily relies on plug-ins, called
	"Products" in Zope lingo. I.e. there is a product called
	"SquishDot" which will turn a zope server into a Slashdot like
	forum within minutes. There are other products (Shopping carts,
	Portal Site kit, an Auction site etc, you name it, the total
	number of usable products is ~ 50) which don't come with a Zope
	distribution per se, but can be installed rather easily. In addition,
	there is a "Super" zope server (called ZEO) just around the
	corner.

	In order to make all that easily install-able and accessible from
	within FreeBSD, I thought of using the ports system. For that I
	would have to create a separate zope section (/usr/ports/zope).

	Is that something which sounds feasible ? If so, I'll submit a
	patch for the upcoming Zope-2.2.0 release with that
	functionality.

	-Th