Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 19:03:24 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
To:        "Keith Spencer" <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>, "fbsd" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dynamic ip scripting <- How to update my zone?

> Hi all,
> I have a primary dns server on an isdn machine (fbsd)
> This is my web server. I have a adsl freebsd box for
> my lan to surf with. It is by nature of my isp dynamic
> ip and boots me off around each 24 hrs. A pain! I'd
> love to ditch the ISDN line since it is outrageous
> expensive here in Australia...$4000 just to lease it.

I understand there is a major legal challenge pending on the matter
of Tel$tra's ISDN monopoly .... the word is that other carriers will
be able to do the connections within a few months (NB: connections
not data which they can already provide at a fraction of the price)
Its not a good idea to tempt fate by using dynamic DNS with ADSL
in OZ ... Tel$tra runs regular portscans & is quite within its rights
terminate customers running servers on ADSL.

I did try to figure out a workaround by firewalling all relevant ports
on
the ADSL gateway machine & using VPN so I could run a mailserver
with a public IP "borrowed" from elsewhere, but it doesn't appear that
FreeBSD renditions of VPN clients are usable yet. The only halfway
workable solution I'm aware of at this point in time is to co-host a
box
on a network with adequate unused public IPs (eg  one of the Apana
POPs if you live within local radius of one & the local management
committee will allow it)