Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:39:28 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        guru@Sisis.de, mwhite@cmu.edu, FreeBSD-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589D - "driver allocation failed"

> Thanks for the various suggestions.  I added ep0 to the kernel,
> substituted ep0 for zp0 in pccardd.conf, and checked the ifconfig
> statements in rc.conf, but still cannot get the thing working.
>
> The card now generates:
>
> ----------
> kenmare /kernel: Card inserted, slot 0
> kenmare /kernel: ep0: failed to come ready.
> kenmare /kernel: ep0: unload
> kenmare /kernel: Return IRQ=10
> kenmare pccardd[53]: driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation

This is the driver probe failing; the "failed to come ready" would tend
to indicate to me that either the I/O range you're selecting via the
configuration index is already in use, or there are some timing issues
that need resolving.  Check the code in the 'ep' driver that prints the
"failed to come ready" message and work backwards from there.