Date:      11 Jun 1996 17:32:18 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   adaptec disk controllers and 2.1-RELEASE

I'm using an adaptec 2940 on my news server. I've been told that
the occasional panics (something about scsi bus timeouts?) have
been resolved by a -STABLE release; however, when I installed the
first of them (well, partially: I swapped kernels and /bin), I
got a flood of complaints that my server was failing.

You know how customer complaints are; even when the information
is right to hand, you can't rely on them transmitting it.  So I
have no idea if the nnrps stopped sending or if connections were
just getting arbitrarily dropped or what. Anyway, I went back to
-RELEASE; those crashes only happen once every few weeks!

I looked at the code and it doesn't look at all like an easy job
to retrofit the ahc driver changes into the release kernel. The
question is: is it known what changes are needed to eliminate the
panics? Or, is there a reasonable way to add those changes to my
release kernel?