Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:02:25 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hsu@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

In article <199707300710.AAA14949@hub.freebsd.org>,
Jeffrey Hsu  <hsu@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> I see this problem too in conjunction with language tools.  My next
> JDK port which I'm working on now (not sure if I should do a stable
> 1.1.4 port or just skip ahead to 1.2, neither of which the Linux
> people have yet) would happily use ELF if it solves the dlsym(RTLD_NEXT)
> problem (namely, we don't have it)

That's not really related to ELF.  It's caused by my own neglect.  :-)
Being reminded of it made me feel so guilty that I implemented it
this afternoon.  I'll send you some patches to test if you're
interested.

> and it also eliminates a bunch
> of kludges in the Java interpreter code that I have to make because
> we prepend underscores and the rest of the world doesn't.

You're talking about calls to dlsym(), I assume.  Personally, I
think that the argument to dlsym() ought to be the symbol name *as
it is written in C*.  For a.out, dlsym() itself should add the
leading underscore if necessary.  I.e., you shouldn't have to call
the function differently depending on what your object format is.

Unfortunately, it wasn't done that way originally in FreeBSD.  It
would break some things to change it now.  Of course, it would break
most of the same things if we switched to ELF ...

John