Date:      21 Mar 2000 19:18:27 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "# Version required:"

 * From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>

By the way, thanks for backing out the previous commits.

 * I propose the following patches, which remove the "# Version required: x.y"
 * comment as it is typically out of date, and tells nothing useful about
 * the port.  [In my 5 years doing ports, I've never gotten one ounce of
 * useful information from this comment line]

That's because you haven't seen enough ports. :)

Go take a look at ports/japanese, there are plenty of examples where
the version number in PKGNAME doesn't convey enough information to
tell what exactly the port is and the "version required" comment
serves its purpose.

I'd like to keep it as an optional line, to be used in case the
version string in the package name is not descriptive enough.

 * I see no need to make any decision on the outcome of any new port knobs
 * (such as PACAGE= and VERSION=) a requirement on us agreeing to apply
 * these two patches.

I have no problem with the portlint patch but please wait for the
handbook, if we are going to leave it as an optional field then we
might want to say something like "Use this if the ${VERSION} variable
doesn't include enough information".

Also, don't go changing the port Makefiles, I will go and do it all in
one sweep with the PKGNAME/VERSION change.  (If you are importing a
new port, doing it without the version required line is fine.)

Satoshi