Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 00:05:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Server Uptimes project...

On the soapbox...

A while back someone announced the "Server Uptimes" page at
http://uptime.hexon.cx.  In fact, for a while some FreeBSD user was reporting
an erroneous uptime of 10000 days.  Anyways, as far as number of hosts
registered, FreeBSD is 4th with 43 behind Linux with 300+, NT with 47, and
Win98 with 45.  All we need is five more machines to be in second there.  Also,
some good news is that almost all of the top 10 spots for both current and all
time are split between FreeBSD and Linux, so we are putting on a good show,
it'd just be nice to show how many of us there are.  It'd be really nice to
outdo Linux, but second place is better than fourth, too.  Also, the little
daemon you have to run doesn't eat up any time, from what I've seen.  After 20
days on my P5-166, it's only taken up 4.76 seconds, so those of you with
desktops can afford that.

Off the soapbox...

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/