Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 1996 07:43:15 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>, markd@Grizzly.COM (Mark Diekhans), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are the plans for ELF support?

jkh@time.cdrom.com said:
:- we'll only switch to ELF if and when it demonstrates a set of
:- advantages which outweigh the disadvantages of changing.

1) Ability to build and use new GCC and BINUTILS distributions
``out of the box''.

2) Ability to use the various BINUTILS tools for which there are
no a.out equivalents (like objdump).

3) Ability to use site-written and commercial applications that
are designed around elf (of which we have many).

4) Ability to natively use elf for other purposes (like i18n),
in ways that a.out are not as well suited.

5) Increased ease of developing multi-platform support.

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 508 436 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com