Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:19:18 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>, Ronald Maggio <ron_maggio2004@yahoo.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An installation on SCSI Drives

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:56 pm, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Ronald Maggio wrote:
> > Other then /root, /swap, /user, and /var, what other
> > partitions are needed for a first go at FreeBSD, in Linux
> > /home is often used, but what is a good lineup for FreeBSD
> > other then the ones named so far?
>
> First, let's get our terms correct.

Yes let's!

> A typical FreeBSD installation on one HDD uses two partitions:
> a FreeBSD partition and a swap partition. Inside the FreeBSD
> partition are slices, which are mounted under directories
> (mountpoints) such as /var. So, your question seems to be
> about slices, not partitions.

The usual BSD terminology is just the reverse of this.
What MS calls partitions are usually known in FreeBSD terminology=20
as "slices".

BSD reserves the term "partitions" for the BSD subdivision of a=20
BSD device (which might, in fact, be a slice) and this predates=20
MS use of the term by many years.

And while the BSD swap partition can be mounted in a different
slice it is usual for it to be a partition within a BSD slice.
And also usual (but not essential) for all the the native BSD
file systems on the one physical disk to reside in the same=20
slice.

Or one can "dangerously dedicate" the entire physical drive to=20
BSD and dispense entirely with slices; as in traditional BSD
systems -- but this is not generally favoured in modern times.

=46or the OP; in the days of rather flakey drive performance it was=20
usual to make a root partition mounted on '/' of a minimum size=20
to run the basic startup and maintenance and keep the remainder=20
of the system in other partitions. Just how this was distributed=20
tends to be somewhat dependent on the time in history. Swap is=20
is almost always a separate partition that does not (in BSD)=20
carry a file system in the usual sense.=20

But going back a bit /usr was almost always a separate partition=20
often containing the 'home' tree of user files.

The 'best' or 'optimum' depends on both the machine usage and=20
what factors you consider most important.

In this day use of a separate partition for /home (and of course
one for swap) with the remainder all in the root partition '/'=20
seems to be quite satisfactory for general use.

Malcolm Kay