Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:16:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, brians@mandor.dev.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > If people who use FreeBSD in a commercial setting paid 2% of what it
> > would have cost them to do the same with shrink-wrapped software,
> > and private users paid 1% to the FreeBSD Projects funds, then I would
> > be much more inclined to listen to them and help them.
>
> $39.95 (the price of a FreeBSD CDROM) is 5 times the 2% figure you
> cite for most OS's, and twice the figure you cite for BSDI:

This is only from Wallnut Creek.  You can find them alot cheaper than
that around.

> SCO
> 	$400/$40 = 10
> 	1/10 = 10%
Is this the FULL package?  Development also? Unlimted user? Networking?

> BSDI
> 	$1000/$40 = 25
> 	1/25 = 4%
How much is the BSDI source license up to now?  How much is a unlimted user
license?
NOTE: Please tell me if BSDI has went back to $1000 source and unlimted user,
      I've got a customer running 2.1 I love to have source for.

> For what it's worth, let's include the SCO personal use CDROM:
> 	$20/$40 = .5
> 	1/.5 = 200%
>

> > As it is now, I do FreeBSD for fun, and I work on what's fun for >me<
> > and what I think the historic necesity dictates that FreeBSD must have.
> >
> > I do not jump out of my pants to help people with their more or less
> > bizarre wishes and problems, unless it matches the above "fun" clause
> > as well.
>
> This is a different matter.  It means you aren't being proportionally
> rewarded for your efforts in lieu of "fun factor as payment".  This is
> a different issue altogether, and should be attacked seperately.
>

> 					Regards,
> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team