Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:34:00 -0400
From:      estair@computer-exchange.com
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Keyboard controller locks up during kernel initialization with Belkin KVM switch...

I'm using a Belkin OmniView SE 4-port PS/2 KVM switch at home to
toggle between my 4 Unix boxen.  The problem I'm having is that on the
machine running 5-CURRENT if I power on the system (or reboot) when
the active switch port is anything other than the BSD box the system boots
ok but I cannot log in or safely shut down from the console.  All keyboard/
mouse functions are inaccessible and I have to log in via ssh to shut it
down
gracefully.

This problem does not occur if the machine is running any other OS
(previously
Solaris 8, and linux 2.4) and I *do* recall it happening on another machine
that was running 4.2_Release.  I'm not a programmer :(, but IMO I'm guessing
that when the kernel initializes the console devices (kbd/mouse/vga) it is
polling
it in a method that is incompatible with the emulation of the KVM switch...
??
Note that I do not have this problem with any of the other systems on this
switch
running Solaris 8, 2x Linux (2.4.x), Windows 2000.

The only reference I've seen to a similar problem is this post:
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0009/msg00180.html
If there is a simple fix that I'm unaware of, I'd love to know it.  If not
and it is an
open/unresolved issue I'd be more than happy to test fixes and give
feedback.

Thanks to the hackers,
Cheers,

/eli