Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:58:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      patrick collins <pc012@seqeb.gov.au>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device driver cookbook.

I really appreciated your example device driver. Your explanation was
very easy to understand and I look forward to further posts on this
subject.

I am particularly interested in writing a device driver for a
digital I/O card I have. This card consists of a couple of 8255 PIO's. I
would like my device driver to be able to configure one 8255 for input
and the other for output. I would like the device driver to be able to
read the inputs every n milliseconds in order to be able to count a 2 Hz
pulse train on these inputs.

I have a fairly general idea on how to go about this but would appreciate
any pointers you might have, especially in the area of how to get the device
driver to continually read the input ports without the intervention of the
application software.

Patrick Collins - Load Survey Technician           email : pc012@seqeb.gov.au
South East Queensland Electricity Corporation      phone : +61 7 3407 5954
Blinzinger Rd, Banyo, 4014                         fax   : +61 7 3407 5454
Queensland, AUSTRALIA (Best State, Best Country)   Viva el Cristo Rey !