Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:33:28 -0400
From:      David Comeau <davitron@vl.videotron.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade of libmcrypt.

I had been trying to upgrade my libmcrypt by using portupgrade and libmcrypt
errored out. Thinking that it would probably be better to simply go to
relevant ports directory and do this by hand, it resulted with the same
error. Can anyone help? The following is the relevant complie error, as well
as the conversation with another mailing list user who found the time to
write to me personally, but was unable find an answer.

************** Compile error **********************
../../lib/libdefs.h:30: ltdl.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in
/usr/ports/security/libmcrypt/work/libmcrypt-2.4.15/modules/algorithms.

*********** Truncated for the purpose of this email ***********

> ltdl.h is in /usr/local/include?  Which is on your CPATH and
> C_INCLUDE_PATH, if they're set at all?

You're right. They aren't set. (egg on my face) This sounds newbie-ish, but
in which file would I include this? Mind you, I'm puzzled as to why only
libmcrypt would be affected by this ommision. I have quite a few other progs
and tools installed through the ports system, as well as having been upgraged
by portupgrade, without complaint from any of them.

> Some of the more obvious information that you left out were: what
> version (and date, if it's not a release) of FreeBSD you were running,
> what version of libtool you currently have installed (and how you
> installed it), and whether you're using the system default build
> environment for your release of FreeBSD.
>
> Good luck.

I am using version 4.2-RELEASE that was upgrade to 4.3-RELEASE. Both times
having the kernel recompiled with acustom kernel.
(uname -a: FreeBSD firegate 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #1: Sat Jun  9
21:05:18 EDT 2001).

The version of libtool is libtool-1.3.4_2. The original version was installed
through the ports installation of some other program that had needed its
libs, but seeing that it may have been installed incorrectly, for the
purposes of libmcrypt, I re-installed it again through the ports system (not
through portupgrade).

No, I couldn't keep the default system build, as I am using freebsd as a
firewall, and because my NICs weren't supported out of the box, so to speak.
Or am I talking about the wrong thing here. The /etc/make.conf file has been
altered, but only insignificantly, affecting only the building of lpr.

I am very grateful for this help. To this date, you are the only one that has
responded.

******** End of conversation ********************
--

Sincerely,