Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/9927: miltichannel scsi 3940 channel swapping problem

The following reply was made to PR kern/9927; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To: "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:28:12 -0500 (EST)

 On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

 > >         As a result the boot disk shows up as da1.  This is sort of ok
 > >         except that the BIOS reports this device as drive 0, and not drive 1.
 > >         This confuses the hell out of the new bootblocks.  To boot I
 > >         must have "0:da(1,a)kernel" in /boot.config.  The new loader doesn't
 > >         like the fact that da1 == BIOS 0 either.
 >
 > set root_disk_unit=1 does not help?

 	Well, no it didn't the last time I tried.  But this was actually
 before the new bootblocks became the default, so I decided to try the
 loader again.  I suppose I really am using the new boot blocks, and that
 the loader is the first boot stage that doesn't grok my hardware
 configuration.   I discussed the loader problem with Robert Nordier a few
 weeks ago, but I now see real that the problem is with ahc and not the
 loader.

 	For the sake of completeness, here's what I see on my box,
 including trying your suggestion.

 scenario 1:
 With no /boot.config:

 	pressed space to get "boot: " prompt.
 	defaults to 0:da(0,a)/boot/loader
 	pressed enter to load loader
 	announces that btx loader is using the following bios mapping:
 		a: -> disk0
 		c: -> disk1
 		d: -> disk2
 	pressed enter to load kernel
 	loads kernel, but panics when mounting root from wrong disk.

 secenario 2:
 With no /boot.config:

 	pressed space to get "boot: " prompt.
 	defaults to 0:da(0,a)/boot/loader
 	pressed enter to load loader
 	announces that btx loader is using the following bios mapping:
 		a: -> disk0
 		c: -> disk1
 		d: -> disk2
 	pressed space to get loader prompt.
 	show currdev == loaddev == disk1s2a
 	set root_disk_unit=1
 	boot -s
 	loads kernel, but panics when mounting root from wrong disk.

 secenario 3:
 With no /boot.config:

 	pressed space to get "boot: " prompt.
 	entered 0:da(1,a)/boot/loader
 	pressed enter to load loader
 	announces that btx loader is using the following bios mapping:
 		a: -> disk0
 		c: -> disk1
 		d: -> disk2
 	pressed space to get loader prompt.
 	show currdev == loaddev == disk2s2a
 	cannot do 'ls' or load kernel.
 	set root_disk_unit=1
 	cannot do 'ls' or load kernel.
 	unset root_disk_unit
 	set currdev=disk1s2a
 	ls works now, but still cannot load kernel
 	set root_disk_unit=1
 	ls still works, and cannot load kernel

 	As I mentioned above, I believe the problem is that the ahc driver
 isn't correctly handling the switched SCSI channels.  The code in
 /sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c is not doing the right thing.  It does try.  See
 aic7xxx.c near line 987:

     /*
      * Attach secondary channel first if the user has
      * declared it the primary channel.
      */
     if ((ahc->flags & AHC_CHANNEL_B_PRIMARY) != 0) {
         bus_id = 1;
         bus_id2 = 0;
     } else {
         bus_id = 0;
         bus_id2 = 1;
     }

 	The "ahc->flags & AHC_CHANNEL_B_PRIMARY" test is never true.  I
 tried examining some of the other flags for the correct bit, but when I did
 fine one that changed when I switch the primnary channel, it caused other
 problems, so I don't think I had it correct.

 thanks,

 	Adrian
 --
 [ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]