Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:09:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC Upgrade?

OpenBSD has my other patch committed for quite some time now. The patch fixes
sjlj problems but does not deal with insane memory consumption in flow
optimization - that is why I ported gcc-devel branch changes back to GCC 2.95.x
and recommend everyone to use the new patch instead.

On 21-Mar-2001 David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:35:30PM -0500, Alexander N. Kabaev wrote:
>> This patch will work. According to Berndt Schmidt, there are some problems
>> with it on HP/UX and that was the main reason why it was backed out.
>
> That I knew, but I never saw the details (I may have missed them in the
> GCC mailing lists).
Something was going wrong when GCC was trying to run instruction scheduling
pass on PA/RISC AFAIK. Berndt never really posted details about the problem
though and I didn't ask because I couldn't help him anyway.

> Nor why they couldn't add conditional code to do the
> old way on hpux, and fixed sjlj exceptions everywhere else.  Since this
> bug greatly affects both FreeBSD and OpenBSD (Linux does not use sjlj),
> we BSD's are the greatest consumer of the sjlj code.
Um, my wild guess will be because they do not care as long as bug does not
affect Linux. Furthermore, they seem to care about HP/UX more than about all
BSDs of the universe together - hardly the news you didn't know already :)

E-Mail: Alexander N. Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
Date: 21-Mar-2001
Time: 15:53:05