Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:46:01 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        kibbet <kibbet@knfpub.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unnewfs ?

> Hey All,
>
> As you can probably gather from the topic I did a bad thing,
> yup newfs'd a rather important partition (mounted on /usr) :((
>
> So.. is there a way to recover from this silliness ?  Or should
> I beg my other half for forgiveness (it was her machine) :)

  Well you can tell her, without needing to lie, that all of her data
  is nice and safe and sound on the machine. Then explain that as a security
  measure you have ensured it is inaccessible to prying eyes.

  The next bit you need to explain is the difficult bit ...

> I'm assuming newfs just removes inode references etc and the
> data is still there -
Still there, just chewing the fat on the free list, waiting for a passing
punter..

I'm also assuming its not a trivial exercise